Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Double sandwich whammy

In addition to the pulled pork for tonight we added a second sandwich in honor of a certain squatter who will be turning 30 tomorrow. Yes, I made ice cream sandwiches! I used our ice cream maker ball (which actually works!) to make Irish coffee ice cream, spread the ice cream out in a pan to freeze, then I used a biscuit cutter to make little rounds that would fit between two Famous Chocolate Wafers. Super easy and super delicious.

So, on to Angie's other two food groups (apart from coffee and whiskey), spicy meat and cheese! The pulled pork sandwiches started with the dream inducing all night cook of a porketta roast. I put it in the fridge for the day, to separate the fat. Then, slightly before dinner time, we tossed the defatted (well, mostly defatted) meat back into the crock pot with some red bell pepper and shredded it up. I got these big fluffy slightly sweet buns at Panaderia El Mexicano (the bakery in Mercado Central). We added provolone cheese, sliced peperoncini, and some sauteed spinach. They went into the oven to get melty and then right into our bellies. Yum!

What is next you ask? Steak Sandwiches! Now we have to agree on how we want to make it--we have some differences of opinion. Beth wants classic Minnesota diner sandwiches on toast points, Angie wants it with sauteed mushrooms and onions and cheese on hoagie rolls, and I want it on a baguette with caramelized onions and blue cheese. We may have to agree to disagree!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the democracy of sandwiches, my vote is for Angie's way.

Happy Birthday Angie!

Anonymous said...

If you want to wait on the more Philly style sandwich, I can ask Susan to mail some bread.

I think all of the options sound good. I don't think I could choose.

Rebecca said...

Philly cheese steak is still in the hat, and we'll be calling you up for advice on that one when we pull it, Karen!

I saw a sandwich recipe with steak and boursin cheese on a baguette, today. I think that definitely has to join the running!

Daddy said...

how about a steak sandwich where you use steak instead of bread and put the cheese in the middle? i'm voting for beths sandwich. happy birthday to angie.

Anonymous said...

love the icecream sandies...what a great idea...good thing you had that handy ice cream ball!
I was just wondering about what you will make around state fair time? Something on a stick? Something deep-fried?