Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I should buy stock in Tums

When my brother and I get together in Los Angeles, he always tries to kill me with greasy hamburgers. We stuff in as many Double Doubles and Tommy's Chili Cheeseburgers as possible during late night drives to revisit places from our childhood. The possible number seems to diminish every year as we get older (but not wiser).This time we only got in one late night burger run to the In-n-Out in Burbank. It came after a fantastic supper with some family friends so we were already full when we got there. But tradition is tradition and you can always find more room! Plus, we watched the David Hasselhoff cheeseburger video on my brother's iPhone to get us in the mood.
Most of us showed some restraint and got cheeseburgers. My brother got a Double Double. Aren't they yummy looking? I love the Thousand Island dressing and the big hunk of iceberg lettuce. This is what a cheeseburger should look like. When I first moved to Minnesota, I was disappointed to get plain cheeseburgers with just buns, patties and cheese. To get mayonnaise, lettuce and tomato, you have to pay extra and order the "California cheeseburger." The irony is that a Minnesotan California cheeseburger is a pale comparison to the condiment laden gooey joy that is an actual cheeseburger in California. There's a reason they wrap them in paper, folks!

No comments: