Sunday, May 11, 2008

Chickenyliciousness

We had chicken parmesan sandwiches for Sandwich Night last week. Beth made some kick ass tomato sauce and I used a recipe for "light" baked chicken parmesan. (Not because I was trying to cut calories in the sandwich. This is Sandwich Night, after all! I used it because it sounded easy.) You toss wheat bread, shredded parmesan cheese, olive oil, herbs and salt and pepper in a food processor and grind it up. Then you dip the chicken breasts in flour, then egg, then the breadcrumbs. The recipe called for only coating one side of the chicken. I opted for both and I baked them on a rack set on a cookie sheet so both sides would get crispy. Just before the chicken is cooked through, you sprinkle shredded mozzarella and provolone on the breasts and let it melt and brown. It was quite delicious--I'll make that recipe again! I used long foccacia from the New French Bakery store for the bread. (They discount everything after 4 on weekdays--check it out!) I spread garlic butter on the split bread and toasted it. I also served up sauteed crimini mushrooms and hot giardiniera peppers to go with the sandwiches. I put some extra sauce in a dipping cup for good measure.And if you recognize the pattern of provolone, mushrooms and hot peppers, then you will have deduced that Angie came! It was so nice to have our little Angie back for a Sandwich Night! Yay!
Kate, Karen, Lisa and Sienna the dog came as well. Karen brought Burgess bars for dessert--a secret family recipe involving marshmallows, graham crackers, peanut butter and butterscotch. And a diabetic coma. But soooo worth it.
It was a good episode of ANTM--we got to yell at the TV and stop and rewind a bunch. And while we not sad that batshit crazy Dominique got thrown off, we were surprised she got the boot before Whitney. All of our allegiance to her as a fellow big girl has evaporated due to her mean girl personality. She'll go next, mark my words.

No comments: