Thursday, March 18, 2010

You can't go wrong with cured meats

Northern Waters Smokehaus in Duluth, MN gets a fair amount of foodie press for its housemade bison pastrami. We get up to Duluth once in a while and I always mean to pick up some.

Well, it was worth the wait.

Beth’s hockey team played a tournament in Duluth last weekend and I was able to stop by the Smokehaus for some treats. In addition to the pastrami, I got some hard salami, brown sugar smoked lake trout and bison meat sticks. Everything was excellent.

That bison pastrami was a cut above, though. Lean, nicely spiced, not too smoky. It’s crying out for a nice slice of rye bread, Swiss cheese and some tasty mustard. That’s the sandwich I had today. It would probably make a great Reuben, too. I won’t find that out this time, though. I ate it all already!




No comments: