Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Easy, cheesy

Who knew making mozzarella was so easy? My friend Kris gave me a a packet of everthing I needed to make my own mozzarella (rennet, citric acid, cheese salt) ages ago. I was busy at the time so she said I could freeze it.
Well, if you've seen my freezer, you know it is a chaotic affair. Every so often, the little packet of cheese stuff would surface, only to be stuffed back in because I wasn't ready to make it.
Serendipity struck the other day as I was planning the Caprese Sandwich Night and the cheese packet resurfaced. Yay!
To make the cheese, you warm whole milk and citric acid gently, then add rennet and let it curdle. Drain off the whey and knead the curds into stretchy, shiny mozzarella. Add some salt and store it in water. I was done in 30 minutes. I hope it tastes as good as it was easy to make!

1 comment:

Amy said...

I want to eat your cheese. I also want you to know I thought of you when I read this:
http://catandgirl.com/?p=2543