Sunday, February 14, 2010

Oh Canada!

"They should call these diabetes mellitus type 2 bars" said my friend Amy as she struggled to finish her Nanaimo bar at our Olympic Sandwich Night. The Nanaimo bar is Canada's favorite bar and it originates from a city just south of Vancouver. It's layered like a sandwich with a graham cracker, chocolate, and coconut crust, custard buttercream filling and chocolate topping. It's just a teeny bit rich.
The bars capped off a lovely evening. I decided to have salmon burgers for Sandwich Night in honor of Vancouver, the Olympic host city. I found the recipe online. I used canned salmon and added red onion, basil, salt, pepper, hot sauce and an egg to bind it. I cooked them in a frying pan and served them on the lovely large hamburger buns from Lund's. I made cilantro wasabi mayonnaise and had red butter lettuce as well. They were quite delicious! I made sweet potato fries as a side. They were awesome dipped in that cilanto wasabi mayonnaise. And, since it was Valentine's day, I had to make the patties heart shaped, of course.

No comments: