Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Portobello Sandwiches are Crazy Delicious

Oh my word. We picked a winner tonight. I don't usually follow recipes very closely for sandwiches but this one spoke to me. I found it in the El Cholo Cookbook. El Cholo is my favorite Mexican restaurant in Los Angeles and this cookbook does not disappoint. My favorite chile relleno recipe just happens to face the page for portobello sandwich recipe. I know--that's a weird combo for a Mexican restaurant's cookbook, so it must be fate.
The mushrooms marinate in olive oil, lime juice, basil, oregano, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper. They suggested slicing red onions thinly and adding them to the marinade as well, which I did. Once the mushrooms have marinated for about an hour you grill them. The sandwich consists of the mushrooms, the marinated raw red onions, roasted red peppers, arugula and goat cheese. They recommend rosemary bread but I knew these sandwiches were crying for ciabatta rolls. I got the ciabatta rolls at A Baker's Wife this morning--literally hot out of the oven.
These sandwiches were awesome! All the veggies complemented each other well, the marinade was amazing and the goat cheese was magical. Sigh.
Angie came over, as did Jane (and her knitting!) As an extra bonus, my friend Katy made her Sandwich Night debut. Katy and the gluten are not friends so she made a stack of the ingredients, minus the bread. Perfect.
America's Next Top Model held few surprises tonight, but it was fun to try and explain it to folks who don't actually watch it. Plus, there were some good sloppy drunk scenes--it's been too long, ANTM.
It was so lovely that we're going to do it again next Wednesday--ANTM Finale!!!
We even drew from the hat and we're having patty melts!!!! I think a panini press could be involved in this one...

1 comment:

Jane Bowman said...

Yummy! Those sandwiches were D-Lisch! Thanks so much for having me and my hungry tummy over for SN!