Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A little field research...

It's summer and and scientists around the world are out in the field, doing important research. I've been doing my best to sample some of the fantastic sandwiches on offer around the Twin Cities.
Oh yeah.
That's the Bangkok Blucy. It's a recent addition to the menu at the Blue Door Pub. It's got coconut milk infused mozzarella inside the burger, then lightly pickled carrots and cucumber on top and curry peanut dipping sauce on the side. You must sub the deep fried green beans for the fries. They are crying to be dipped in that curry sauce. The burger was great. Savory and sweet. The pickled veggies were great and the sauce had the perfect amount of heat. I really love how the Blue Door is running with the whole cheese stuffed burger thing. No one can beat Matt's for the classic Jucy Lucy, of course. But if you want a fancy Lucy, this is your best bet! You will also be happy to know that they have moved the Merriam Park Blucy onto the permanent menu. That one is definitely a keeper!
There's a new Vietnamese sandwich shop in Stadium Village called Bun Mi. They serve an awesome classic banh mi with roast pork and pate. They also make some more unusual kinds like curried mock duck.
This sandwich was crazy delicious. The other thing that's great about Bun Mi is that they really stuff the sandwiches with all the goodies. They cost about twice what you'd pay for a banh mi elsewhere but you get twice as much filling. They do great bubble tea, too.
And finally, I've been back to Cheeky Monkey a few times and I have never been disappointed. I met former intern there last week and I ordered the pot roast sandwich for myself. It has pot roast, pickled red onions, arugula and horseradish cream. I was so busy devouring it that I forgot to take a picture of it until the very end. Whoops! I hope you aren't too grossed out to see a half eaten sandwich, but I think this shot captures the true glory of this fantastic sandwich.
Up next on my field research will definitely be the cemitas at La Fonda in St. Paul. My friend Karen has been raving about them. Can't wait!

No comments: