Tuesday, September 11, 2007

State Fair not a haven of sandwiches

I know, I know. A trip to the Minnesota State Fair is all about eating. Don't get me wrong. I love the State Fair. I LOOOOVE the State Fair. I went three times this year. I love eating at the State Fair. I plan my visits around what old favorites I'm going to eat, what new things I'm going to try, etc. Surprisingly, my must eat list is pretty much devoid of sandwiches.
Why?
Are State Fair sandwiches inferior to the plethora of deep fried treats on sticks? Are they less interesting than than the abundant culinary oddities like fried cheese curds?
I think my answer is that there are very few truly unique sandwiches available. I mean Deli Express, the crappy gas station sandwich maker has a booth at the Fair. I kid you not. They even have microwaves, just like at the gas station...
So, is there room for a sandwich in the middle of the calorie fest of Pronto Pups, mini donuts, cookies, roasted corn, pork chop on a stick, malts, hand rolled pretzels, etc., etc., etc?
Yes. There is one sandwich I always make room for: the Gizmo

The Gizmo is sort of like a Sloppy Joe. But with Italian sausage and covered in melted cheese. They're awesome. This year I got it twice. The first time I shared with Beth and Karen. The second time I just shared with Beth. Next year I'm getting one all for myself!

Try them next year--the stand is way up Machinery Hill, by the end of the sky glider.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum, that looks delicious! Wish I was at the State Fair right now! The pork chop on a stick was scrumptious. And, I still have the stain on my shirt as a memento. Eggplant sammies looked like a picture out of a magazine!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the Fair wasn't a total sandwich bust.
I'm salivating at the mention of cheese curds...